Traveling Solo Around Davao City the Philippines
Planning to head the City of Royalties, Crown of Mindanao, or the one and only Durian Capital of the wonderful Philippines? You have made a perfect travel choice. With a population of 1.5 million and awesome beaches to discover, there is no wonder that Davao City has gained the above nicknames over the years. A large seaport in the area adds more beauty and value to Davao city, which is also the hub of the island of Mindanao. So, if you are a solo traveler, here are some tips to grasp before you plan your next tour to Davao City of the Philippines.
Places to see in Davao City the Philippines
- San Pedro Cathedral – This is Davao’s main and the most ancient cathedral which dates back to the 19th century.
- Mount Apo – The highest and a wonderful peak. It is best to visit here with an experienced guide. A local travel agency may be able to help you out with one.
- Jack’s Ridge – A perfect place to relax and enjoy a beer overlooking the city! The hike may challenge you a bit but worth it.
- Shrine of the Holy Infant of Jesus – Yet another calm, quiet, and sacred place visited by many from around the world.
- People’s Park – A place you can enjoy a walk any time of the day. If you need to try out some food or buy some souvenirs to take back home, this is probably the right place.
- Downtown Davao – If you wish to explore some local lives and try out some traditional food, head to downtown Davao. You will find the locals extremely friendly, don’t worry about it because they actually are!
Luckily Davao city offers plenty of hotels that can suit tbudget. The prices may vary according to the different streets. However, if cheaper accommodation is your first choice, heading to Mt Mayon Street or near Victoria Plaza will be the best option. If you looking for more luxury you can find plenty of beach resorts or even international chain hotels outside of Davao.
Traveling In and Around Davao City the Philippines
- Taxis – The number one choice would be the metered taxis. The good news is, unlike other destinations, Davao charges the same prices for both locals and tourists.
- Jeepneys – a cool ride to explore the places in and around Davao. These pickup trucks are easily available everywhere and cheap too. Remember to mention the place you wish to visit correctly. Wrong Jeepney means the wrong destination!
- Shuttle services – also known as water taxis transport people from Davao to almost anywhere nearby. Not to mention this service is completely safe, hassle-free and has gained a lot of reputation.
- Rent a car – this should probably be your last choice simply because Davao is a busy city. The traffic can be terrible most of the time and this can easily confuse you to find your way.
- Avoid carrying a lot of cash in busy areas.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry in crowded areas.
Book A Solo Tour Guide in Davao City the Philippines
A Solo Tour Guide is your local tour guide friend who specifically looks after Solo travelers. Indeed many solo travelers arrive at a new city and just need to find their way around, to orientate themselves. However usually they can see the main sights themselves but prefer local knowledge such as which is the best bakery in town, where is the nearest medical center and pharmacy. For example a common question is how does the transport system work and where can I buy a ticket? Are there any local apps that I should be away of? All these and many more, enter your Solo Tour Guide. To book one, click here.